Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Safari books online and Math

I have been interested in Safari books online for a number of years. I was first exposed during a summer internship in college. 

I was working remote doing some web development and I came accross a need to use regular expressions. My manager at the time recommeneded "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Friedl and wow that is a good book. I was living with my parents and their local library had a subscription to safari online so that with my library card I was able read this book. After going back to school I spent a number of years as a poor college student and couldn't justify the cost of safari online. 

Fortunately with a job change a few months ago I decided that regular daily investment in technical learning was a critical item in order for me to succeed in my software career.

I signed up and have been using safari online for several months now and find it very useful. In particular I have recently found "The princeton companion to mathematics" is available on safari. 

At my last job at National Instruments there was a strong culture of books group and I was able to attend part of a book group based on the abstract algebra book found here.
http://abstract.ups.edu/download.html

I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope to deepen and broaden my mathematical knowledge. 

It is kinda funny as a kid I HATED math, it was repetitive and boring. I spent alot of effort(more on this another time) to take calculus in high school solely because it was required for Physics BC and I loved science.

Funny thing happened though. I loved calculus it was the first math course in which I felt that I was  learning things that broadened my mind and helped me understand the world. It wasn't repetitive but based on simple concepts that could be extrapolated to further ideas.

Anyway I want to deeply understand modern mathematics especially so I can help make sure that my children see the beauty of math rather than rote repetition. 

I will try and keep posting things here as I try and work my way through this thick and somewhat intimidating volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment